Wednesday, February 6, 2013

SPECIAL REVIEW: Central Waters Brewers Reserve Kosmyk Charlie Y2K Catastrophe Ale (AGED: 1 year - bottle)




















The Dirt
Oh barleywines, how I love thee. Especially after aging, as the hops tone down and the beer usually gets quite smooth. The Y2K was a great representation of a barleywine with a very present black liquorice like profile for the first half of the beer from the hops and malt mixture. It then fades to a delicious toasted caramel flavor, something I think American barleywines do more of, and I love.

Although I haven't had this beer fresh, I can tell the aging process made the beer smoother, as there are remnants of its harsher past. As the beer warmed up, the hopes became more present and lingered longer, perhaps being a bit too hoppy and slightly too dry. The nose becomes more hoppy as well.

All in all, a delicious barleywine that's a beautiful hazy burnt orange and brown color. I've had the privilege of having the bourbon barrel version of this, which is an absolute five out of five. A year or two longer of aging might get this regular version a step or two closer to such status.

Worth it?
My brother gave me this because he's not a fan of barleywines (yet). Even to purchase, the answer is yes. A good representation of its style that is good for aging.

The Final Word

No comments:

Post a Comment