Monday, May 30, 2011

Dogfish Head Squall IPA




















The Dirt
Drinking a Dogfish beer is always a treat, especially when you've never had it before. However, this guy will seem strangely familiar if you've had the 90-Minute IPA. From what I could deduce, it seemed like a slightly less carbonated and bit sweeter version of the 90-Minute, which I'm told may be because this beer is bottle conditioned versus aging in a tank.

The brew pours a thick, deep gold color that's cloudy from being unfiltered. It has pine and citrus tones up front, followed by that trademark Dogfish IPA sweet middle. It's not really a malty sweet...kind of its own sweet...like what I'd imagine a candied hop would be like if such a thing existed. Both flavors then merge and slowly wash away on the back end. Like I noted, very similar to the 90-Minute, but I'd have to taste them side-by-side to tell the official differences. I could almost say this one may be a little smoother than the 90-Minute.

Worth it?
First and foremost, this is a delicious beer. However, at $10 for a 750mL bottle, it might be better to buy the 90-Minute 4-pack. I need to have this next to a 90-Minute to compare. But in the end, you'll be quite happy with either purchase.

The Final Word
 

No comments:

Post a Comment