Thursday, August 4, 2011

Boulder Beer Singletrack Copper Ale




















The Dirt
Ahhhh, my first review of a Colorado beer since moving here. So why not start with "Colorado's First Microbrewery"! I decided to give their Copper Ale a try, which is an elusive beer style that really isn't a style. It typically lies along the fuzzy line of a Pale Ale and Amber, often getting the distinction of one or the other depending on if it's hoppier or maltier. Every now and then you find one that falls right in the middle, and that is my definition of a perfect Copper Ale. The best I've had was the now extinct BridgePort Pintail, which one day I'll try to make on my own, but that's another story for another day. Every other Copper Ale has fallen flat in the shadow of the Pintail...until the Singletrack.

Upon the first sip I knew this was a winner. I took a bunch of quick sips to make sure the first was true, and it was. A slight floral hop character from the middle to back, with an almost sweetcorn-like sweet throughout - subtle caramel sweet but you know it's there. That subtle sweet balances perfectly with the hop notes, making the beer refreshing and versatile. You could drink it with anything, or by itself - hell, I drank it while eating Goldfish. Regardless, it'll leave you craving another. And to tie it all together, the color is a nice copper tone. I see this becoming a staple in my Colorado beer lineup.

Worth it?
I bought this on-sale at my local liquor store for $6.99, which was certainly worth it. I can't wait to visit the brewery and load up a growler...I hope they fill growlers...

The Final Word

No comments:

Post a Comment