Saturday, December 17, 2011

Sam Adams Bonfire Rauchbier




















The Dirt
Smoked beers are...interesting. I always can respect a smoked beer when it's clear that it was actually smoked versus adding liquid smoke. However, it's usually so present in all aspects of the beer that it makes it difficult to consume more than a large sampler worth. So when Sam Adams decided to release a smoked beer, I was surprised and intrigued.

As with all smoked beers for me, the smoke flavor did overpower the rest of this beer. That said, this is probably the most drinkable smoked beer I've ever had. I couldn't drink more than one bottle, but was able to comfortably consume all 12 oz. "Bonfire" is certainly an appropriate name, as you do feel like you're by the fire. The smoke flavor is very present on the first sip, but does mellow out some as you drink on. I found that it's quite good with spicy food, especially chips and salsa. The salsa seems to cut the smoke a bit, or perhaps compliments it in a chipotle kind of way. There are some caramel tones in the beer as well, but they're hard to find in the smoke (no pun intended).

Worth it?
I wouldn't buy it again, but if you want to try a smoked beer for the first time or like smoked beers but want something a bit more drinkable, then this is a very good option. It came in the fall mix pack, and I'm sure you can find a single of it here and there.

The Final Word

No comments:

Post a Comment