Saturday, February 18, 2012

Deschutes Obsidian Stout




















The Dirt
Typically I'm more of a fan of the big flavor, semi-sweet, and alcohol packed stouts and imperial stouts. But Deschutes' Obsidian Stout has managed to win my heart from a different angle: a dry stout. With a very dry and bitter dark chocolate roast profile paired with a medium body, this stout is fantastic when not looking for rum cake in a bottle. Actually, this is a great anytime stout. Want a dark beer? It's got flavor and warmth. Want something not too heavy? The dryness and body keep from overwhelming your system. It's a stout I could drink multiple of in a evening without feeling like I ate a whole box of chocolate fudge brownies awash in bourbon - which would be awesome by the way. Putting brownies on my grocery list...

Worth it?
Oh yeah. I love my big profile stouts, but the Obsidian gives me the flavor I want along, but with drinkability. Deschutes is on sale often in my area, but it's worth it regardless. I look forward to it being a staple in my winter beer lineup.

The Final Word

No comments:

Post a Comment