Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Sam Adams Fat Jack




















The Dirt
Another addition to the quickly growing line of what I call experimental beers from Sam Adams. I love pumpkin beers during the fall, so I was very excited to try this imperial pumpkin ale.

This beer poured a very deep copper color, looking very much like a big pumpkin ale. My first sips reminded me of a non-sweet spiced rum, with noticeable booze and some nutmeg on the back half. As I drank more I could certainly tell there was plenty of pumpkin used. There was a bit of sweet malt 1/3 of the way in, but the taste profile was ending a bit more bitter than I would have liked. Perhaps there was too much booze or maybe even too much pumpkin (gasp!). A bit more malty sweetness would have been ideal for the early drinking of the beer.

I say "early drinking" as it does take a bit of time to consume this bomber, which is a good thing. It became less bitter as time went by and the beer warmed up. But don't let it get too warm, as the spices and booze will come through too much.

Overall the Fat Jack was an interesting and dynamic beer. I recommend enjoying it with a meal, as this too decreases the bitterness or harshness I tasted.

Worth it?
It was a rather affordable bomber. I'd pick Shipyard's Smashed Pumpkin over this, but it's worth a try. I think I'd be a big fan if it had a little more maltiness, but it is a good beer, especially after it warms a bit.

The Final Word

No comments:

Post a Comment