Thursday, March 29, 2012

Kona Island Lager




















The Dirt
Once again living in a place that has winter, I got a little bit of cabin fever in February when it came to my beer choice and decided to give Kona's Island Lager a spin. I'm a big fan of their Pipeline Porter and like some of their other beers, so I was hoping that a tropical brewery might know a thing or two about making a crisp island lager.

Sadly, that wasn't my experience. As I drank the beer it kept reminding me of a Bud Light with a slightly smoother back end. Perhaps it needed a lime, as I found it lacking in flavoring hops and having a bit of a full-feeling middle. I know it's meant to be light, but I found it too light in flavor and a bit heavy on body for its style. That said, I did find that it went better with a spicy salsa.

Worth it?
I bought it on a very good sale in order to try, which is why I didn't buy some of my favorites from Kona. I wish I would have instead bought the Fire Rock Pale Ale, as I recall that being quite tasty and refreshing. However, my friend Nick pointed out that since it was on sale it could have been old, which would impact a lighter beer greatly. That said, I doubt I'd pay full price for it ($8-$9) when I could buy the porter or other beers in that range with far more character.

The Final Word

2 comments:

  1. Don't forget. If it's on sale that probably means it's getting old, which for a light beer is a death sentence. It probably has better flavor when it's young and fresh, but still probably not worth $8-$9 for a six pack. BTW, Amanda says *hiccup*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, a very good point, I will add that. But yes, I think it's tough to pay full price on that one.

    Bwahahaha...nice Amanda ;)

    ReplyDelete