Saturday, March 3, 2012

Sam Adams Griffin's Bow




















The Dirt
Part of the Sam Adams experimental line, Griffin's Bow claims its style as an "oaked blonde barleywine ale". Sounds interesting? Or maybe confusing? Yes, and yes. It certainly has the oak flavor down, especially at the front end, but I only tasted a hint of barleywine before it fades to a blonde and then nothing at all. It could almost be labeled as a weak oaked trippel or high-octane pale.I liked it more after it sat for a few minutes, but then it really lost all association with a barleywine in my opinion. I guess when you drink this, just forget the label and drink it for what it is: an oaked double ale of some sort. If you let it warm too much, the oak flavor gets really strong, so either drink quickly or share (I suggest share...it's a bit potent to drink quickly). I also recommend a hearty meal to go with it.

I struggled to rate Griffin's Bow. For me it's a 3 if blindfolded, 2.5 after reading the label.

Worth it?
It was fun...a bit confusing, but fun. I doubt I'd buy again, but if you like trying oaked beers, this might be a good try. I find it hard to get past the absent traditional barleywine flavor though, which is probably unfair, but my taste buds must be directly linked to the part of my brain that handles expectations.

The Final Word

No comments:

Post a Comment