Saturday, March 24, 2012

Russian River Pliney the Elder




















The Dirt
I've been amazed with how hard it is to get this beer. Then again, with a 100 rating on Beer Advocate, I guess I can understand why. And after having it...twice...I really know why.

Billed by many as the best double IPA out there, I'm always reluctant to crown a beer "best ever". But I can certainly see why many say this, as The Elder is something special. Most double IPAs have intense hops at the front, and then return to normal levels with perhaps some biscuity sweetness on the latter half. The Elder is different in that its intense fresh piney and citrusy hop notes just keep going...and going...and going. Even when it's all gone, the fresh hops are on your tongue for another minute at least. The sensation is almost tingly, or maybe even spicy. It's hops Heaven really, but not in a bitter pucker-face kind of way. It's actually very refreshing with it's medium body, and the alcohol is hidden very well. Perhaps one of the most unique beers I've had, and one of the best too.

As the label says, drink promptly. This is one of the few beers where time is a real enemy, as you want all that fresh hoppiness for the full flavor impact. I read a lot about the possibility of aging The Elder, and concluded it to be a bad idea. There just isn't enough malt, and the intense hops (which is why this beer is special) will only disappear. And use a snifter glass if you've got one, as it'll condense the nose even more.

Worth it?
Yes. Yes and yes. Yes, yes, and yes. In case you're confused: YES. If you love hops, this guy is a must. If you don't like hops, it's cheap enough (or it was for me) to try something like this to reconfirm if you actually don't like hops. I paid a jaw-dropping $4.25 for each Elder. Why did I only buy two? They only had two left.

The Final Word

No comments:

Post a Comment