Monday, March 26, 2012

SPECIAL REVIEW: Real Ale Sisyphus 2008 (AGED: 4 years - bottle)




















The Dirt
"Four years? What the heck were you doing!"

A fair question my friend. Barleywines can be great to age a couple of years, but truth be told, this was somewhat of an accident. I bought this when it was already a year or two old, and should have consumed it then, but wanted to hang onto it for just a bit longer. Before I knew it, I was pulling this out of my wine fridge and going "Oh crap! Need to drink this NOW."

In the end, this "accident" wasn't all that bad. I concluded that I certainly waited far too long, but this made for an interesting experience. First off, this baby was smoooooooth to the n-th degree. That's what four years of hibernation will do - obliterate any unsuspecting hops until there are none left. It was almost too smooth, as the back-end was a bit too subdued - almost stale in a sense. The front half was delicious though, with great barleywine flavor sans the usual bite, and a slight biscuity flavor in the middle. Despite the empty end, the beer left what is best described as a film on the tongue. That may sound nasty, but it was actually kind of interesting, as it was almost sweet. To put it another way, it did not detract from the experience. The beer improved a bit as it warmed up a tad, but letting it sit too long allowed the alcohol to come out way too strong.

Lesson learned: try 1-2 years next time. Leave long-term aging to the Dogfish Head 120 Minute.

NOTE: This review is primarily based on the aging of this specific beer, not for a newly bottled and purchased version of the Sisyphus. Perhaps I'll get there one day.

Worth it?
If I recall, the Sisyphus is a bit pricy. But it is delicious, especially if you like barleywines. I would certainly try this again, but age for only two years versus four.

The Final Word

No comments:

Post a Comment